The Office of Citizen Scholar Development uses the term “fellowships” to refer to all national or international opportunities in which University of Virginia students and alumni can participate. Terms such as "scholarship," "award," "grant," and "program" are in the names of many of what we refer to as fellowships.
Fellowships provide support for academic, professional, and/or personal growth. Much of the support is financial but may also be logistical or social, and these opportunities may include study, research, travel, internships, or other professional placement.
OCSD has separated fellowships into two broad categories based on the level of institutional involvement, rather than the prestige of the opportunity. For some fellowships, a candidate must be nominated (or endorsed) by the University of Virginia. For those fellowships, there will be a UVA-specific deadline by which candidates must submit applications and which usually precedes the fellowship's deadline by at least a month. University committees review applications, conduct interviews with candidates, and make decisions on nomination. OCSD staff work closely with candidates for all of these awards.
There are also priority fellowships that accept direct applications and do not require UVA involvement. They are on this list because we often have many candidates or because we think we should have more from among UVA students and alumni. OCSD often supports candidates for those fellowships with workshops or optional early deadlines for feedback and revision. Candidates are strongly encouraged to take advantage of OCSD staff for these fellowships.
You can find a list of all priority fellowships below.
There are 1000s of other fellowships available to UVA students and alumni. The OCSD staff have supported candidates for many of those fellowships and have a wealth of expertise and resources to share with applicants. OCSD staff is happy to support your pursuit of any fellowship that you find on its awards database or elsewhere.
University of Virginia Internal Awards
There are many other funding opportunities supported by the University of Virginia in various offices across grounds. In an effort to provide a single place for University of Virginia students and alumni to find that funding, OCSD has included them in its awards database with links to the appropriate contact.
- Astronaut Scholarship
- The Beinecke Scholarship
- Boren Fellowship
- Boren Scholarship
- Churchill Scholarship
- Critical Language Scholarship Program
- Davis Projects for Peace
- Ertegun Graduate Scholarship Programme
- Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship
- Fulbright UK Summer Institutes
- Fulbright US Student Award
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship
- Hertz Graduate Fellowship Award
- Humanity in Action Fellowship
- James C. Gaither Junior Fellows Program
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
- Barry Goldwater Scholarship
- Knight-Hennessy Scholars
- Luce Scholars Program
- James Madison Graduate Fellowships
- Marshall Scholarships
- Michel David-Weill Scholarship
- National Defense Science & Engineering Graduate Fellowship
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program
- George J. Mitchell Scholarship Program
- Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship
- Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Graduate Fellowship
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Schwarzman Scholars
- Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowship
- Truman Scholarship
- Udall Undergraduate Scholarship
- UK Fellows
- Yenching Academy of Peking University